Extreme Keys Concert Features Regional Talent, Raises Money for Hispanic Federation

By Julia Hablak, Staff Writer

Bryn Mawr’s Great Hall was packed, with people taking up chairs, couches, and even sitting or standing against the wall, for the Extreme Keys 4th Annual A Cappella Festival. The concert, which took place on Jan. 26, 2018, featured 15 a capella groups from Bryn Mawr, the Tri-Co, the University of Pennsylvania, and Drexel University.

While the event showcased the talents of a capella groups from the greater Philadelphia area and attracted friends and families of the groups, it also aimed to raise donations for the Hispanic Federation. Over 75% of the proceeds from the event went to the Hispanic Federation to benefit DREAMers and Puerto Rico’s recovery efforts after hurricanes Maria and Irma.

The concert itself kicked off quickly with a great start by the Bi-Co group Counterpoint, which performed Gwen Stefani’s “Sweet Escape.” Next came Quaker Notes, an all-female a cappella group from the University of Pennsylvania, which performed “Have Mercy” by Eryn Allen Kane and “Love on the Brain” by Rihanna.

There were two Swarthmore groups performing, Mixed Company and Sixteen Feet (an all-male a cappella group). Both groups gave a spectacular performance.

Drexel University’s Treblemakers, an all-female a cappella group, also came to perform at the concert and was warmly welcomed. Their impressive rendition of Rihanna’s “What Now” and Cashmere Cat’s “Quit” was a hit.

Chaverim is the only Tri-Co a cappella group and is known for its international focus. For the concert, they chose Swedish song “GOTA” by The Real Group, and “Bahagia” by Indonesian group GAC.

The Extreme Keys did a wonderful job closing out the night, performing “Wannabe” by Spice Girls and “Samson” by Regina Spektor. A huge round of applause met the anticipated last performance and all of the performers that night.

After the event, students could sign up to audition for some of the groups who performed that night. Students were excited for the opportunity to join some of the groups to which they had just enjoyed listening.

The concert was a great way to share the hard work and talent of the different groups, as well as maintain a high level of enthusiasm for a cappella groups on campus. There was a song for everyone, and audience members had fun cheering on their favorite performances and seeing old and new groups perform.

Additionally, raising money for the Hispanic Federation was a wonderful and necessary move by the Extreme Keys, especially in light of the damage done by the hurricane. The importance of bringing awareness to this cause and getting the audience to donate was commendable and made the diversity of groups performing even more touching. To have so many different Philadelphia area a cappella groups perform together and forge connections in light of a greater cause is definitely a welcome effort.

Overall, the concert provided a wide-ranging and always pleasing set, displaying performers’ hard work and bringing a spirit of excitement and geniality into the Great Hall.

Photo from Extreme Keys’ Facebook Page