“The Lifespan of a Fact”: A Timely Play on Broadway

By Kate Hawthorne, Arts Editor

As I walked into Studio 54, a famous Manhattan nightclub from the ’70s and ’80s, now repurposed into a Broadway theatre, I examined the translucent glass set displayed on the stage. I quickly found my seat, and thumbed through the program, skimming through the history of the play and the actors, preparing for the 85-minute comedy that has been making waves on Broadway.

Based on the book of the same name, “The Lifespan of a Fact” is a new play on Broadway that will only be available for 16 weeks, from Sept. 30, 2018, to Jan. 19, 2019. The play is the true-ish story of the journalistic process, and examines the fine line between fact and fictiona perfect play for the present, given the recent buzz about fake news.

The play is about Jim Fingal, a recent Harvard graduate who is working for an unnamed news magazine somewhere on the West Coast. Fingal is asked by editor Emily Penrose to fact-check a groundbreaking article on Las Vegas, written by renowned writer John D’Agata, who has a reputation for stretching the truth.

Fingal takes on the task with all of the gung-ho energy one can expect from a recent graduate of a high-stress East Coast college, and accidentally reveals the paradox of a lifetime, causing himself, D’Agata, and Penrose to engage in a face-off between fact and fiction that could make or break their careers. Moreover, they are confronted with the age old question with which journalists and editors grapple: how do you balance an author’s voice with the facts at hand?

Not only does the play engage with the current political climate and the controversies that are sparking throughout media, it also has a fascinating set. The translucent glass is utilized throughout the play in many creative ways. It shows that some characters are important to the scene, but not literally present, displays online interactions, as well as the passing of time.

Later on, the set switches to a small home, where the main conflict of the play takes place, with all three of the characters gathering to hash out the fact from the fiction and find out what is really important here.

In addition to its unique set and relevant topic, the play features many amazing and well known talents. Emily Penrose, the editor, is portrayed by actress Cherry Jones, who has been nominated for Emmys and Tony’s alike, and has a long history with Broadway. Jones flawlessly represents an excited editor who has found the perfect piece and wants to help a young man find his way in a difficult industry, before easily changing to a harried woman who has bitten off more than she can chew.

John D’Agata, the author, is portrayed by Bobby Canavale, who is most well known for his work in film and TV, particularly his recent role as Jim Paxton in “Ant-Man” and “Ant-Man and the Wasp.” Canavale infuses his performance with skill, easily depicting a man with a passion for writing, a quick temper, and a complicated history. His opponent in the showdown, Jim Fingal, the fact-checker, is played by Daniel Radcliffe, famous for playing the role of Harry Potter. Radcliffe played a nervous, but excited Harvard graduate faultlessly. Every detail was perfect: fidgeting with his fingers, speaking swiftly with exaggerated hand gestures as passion grew, and sticking to a faith in fact that is instilled in college students.

This play is immaculate in it’s presentation, from the plot, to the set, and down to the actors. This oh-so-timely play delivers laughter, philosophical thought, and amazing acting in a triple threat that everyone should witness. and leaves one exiting the theater wondering and wanting more.

Photo credit: New York Theatre Guide

Author