Haverford Officially Welcomes 16th President in Inauguration

By Gwynne Dulaney, Co-Editor-in-Chief

On Saturday, September 7, Haverford students, faculty, and staff gathered on Founder’s Green to witness the inauguration of Haverford’s 16th president, Dr. Wendy Raymond. A distinguished molecular biologist with national standing on issues of equality and inclusion, Dr. Raymond has received nothing but praise from her fellow colleagues and associates. “Wendy Raymond is the ideal leader to build Haverford’s current momentum and ensure that the Haverford education continues to deliver immense value in the future of our graduates and the communities they serve,” said chair of Haverford’s Board of Managers Rick White ‘81 in an interview by the college. Dr. Raymond has officially held the position of college president since July 1.

The inauguration began with a formal opening and remarks from faculty and students. “Tons of people [at the inauguration] talked about Wendy and about how great she is, including a couple of students and the presidents of Bryn Mawr and Swarthmore,” Adam Friedman-Brown ’22, a Haverford student participating in the musical aspect of the ceremony, described when talking about attending the inauguration. “It all seemed very genuine, and people were really happy that she’s the new president.”

Although not a Haverford alum herself, Dr. Raymond’s husband David Backus ‘82 gives her personal ties and familiarity with the college. “Wendy gave a long speech about how she connects with Haverford’s values,” Friedman-Brown said. As a member on the Committee on Equal Opportunities in Science and Engineering, which was created by Congress to advise the National Science Foundation on the inclusion of minorities in science and engineering, Dr. Raymond seems incredibly in-touch with Haverford’s goals of diversity and inclusion. “Haverford’s new president, in short, brings you a keen curiosity, an abiding commitment to honesty and clarity, clear values, and unshakable personal courage,” said Carol Quillen, president of Raymond’s former home Davidson College. The ceremony ended with welcoming applause and lunch.

The Bi-Co community looks forward to witnessing Dr. Raymond’s first year as president as well as the goals for the college that she hopes to attain.

Image credit: Haverford College

Author