Coronavirus Disrupts Mental Health Services

By Michael McCarthy, Staff Writer

As the coronavirus continues to radically change the personal, academic, and social lives of people all over the world, mental health services have been severely disrupted, with many having moved online at both Haverford and Bryn Mawr. Although many involved in the transition report minimal hiccups, the fundamental shortcomings of Telehealth are being felt throughout the Bi-Co.

Counseling sessions have moved to Zoom, where counselors hope to mirror in-person sessions as closely as possible. The physical nature of a counseling room offers the students a safe space alone with the counselor where they cannot be overheard, allowing them to divulge their emotions and struggles. Living at home prevents many from having this space. “Some students may not have access to a private space, thereby reducing their access,” noted Kelly Wilcox, Dean for Student Health & Learning Resources at Haverford. The difficulties of mimicking traditional sessions impedes the work of mental health professionals in the Bi-Co.

Compounding the stress of nationwide shutdowns and the danger of contracting the virus, many students have been thrust back into home environments detrimental to their mental health. Dean Wilcox said, “Some students are now contending with extremely challenging home or personal circumstances, making it very hard to access many of the curricular and co-curricular services, including CAPS,” referring to Counseling and Psychological Services at Haverford. It remains to be seen how mental health services will be able to provide adequate care when so much space separates counselors and clients.

Counselors must cope with the stresses of the Coronavirus pandemic alongside everyone else, and this has rendered it more difficult to provide care for their clients. “The CAPS counselors,” Dean Wilcox said, “are working tirelessly and creatively to meet the needs of students, but many of them are also juggling child care and other responsibilities while working from home.” She went on to say, though, that “many students are actively engaged with therapists in this modality.” Though limited, access to mental health services are still being provided to Haverford students.

The availability of mental health services at Bryn Mawr has been, according to one junior who wished to remain anonymous, suboptimal. Drawing from her experience of attending counseling sessions on and off since her freshman year, she says, “If you don’t call the first week of the semester, you’re not likely to get an appointment for at least a month.” Bryn Mawr had a checkered past regarding mental health services well before the pandemic. “I’ve gone in a crisis, and it’s still hard to get an appointment.” She has not been having Telehealth sessions with Bryn Mawr counseling services, saying, “I’ve tried Telehealth and it really doesn’t work for me.” Given Bryn Mawr’s record, it is likely that obstacles to access will persist into the pandemic.

Associate Dean of Health and Wellness at Bryn Mawr Reggie Jones did not respond to an email request for an interview before the publication of this article.

Potential conflicts remain on the horizon. Licenses to practice must be required in individual states, each having different standards to obtain the necessary qualifications. With counselors in the Bi-Co providing mental health services across numerous state lines, legal issues have been a persistent concern. Dean Wilcox noted, “We have also been actively engaged with professional and legal experts to make sure we are providing necessary psychological support to students, while also adhering to licensure guidelines.”

HIPAA violations have also been a constant concern. Passed in 1996, Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) protects the confidentiality of patients’ medical information. The sudden widespread use of Telehealth platforms have raised questions as to what qualifies as a viable platform for Telehealth.

Luckily, the Office for Civil Rights (OCR) and the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) have issued guidelines for the use of Telehealth.  They have announced they “will not impose penalties for noncompliance . . . in connection with the good faith provision of Telehealth during the COVID-19 nationwide public health emergency.” Zoom, which is currently being used in the Bi-Co for mental health services, has been designated as a HIPAA-compliant platform. The good faith provision applies to the aforementioned licensure issues as well as Telehealth platforms, ensuring care can continue with minimal legal disputes.

Given the unprecedented nature of the pandemic, counselors have struggled to find methods to address the immense anxiety and distress of their clients. “At the end of the day, this situation is not normal,” said Dean Wilcox, “so the importance of being gentle with oneself and ongoing self-compassion comes to mind as an absolute priority.” Most importantly, students are encouraged to discern what they can and cannot control, turning off their news streams as necessary. Understanding the pandemic is crucial to personal safety, but it is equally crucial to focus on mental, not just physical, health.

Image credit: Haverford College

Author