UnCommon Grounds Frier Food Review

UnCommon Grounds Frier Food Review

By Helen Ehrlich, News Editor & Anna Hsu, Editor-in-Chief

UnCommon Grounds is one of Bryn Mawr’s most popular dining options, offering meals, snacks and drinks for the community. The kitchen is open on Mondays to Fridays from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m., and weekends from noon to 4 p.m. The night cafe operates all week long from 8 p.m. until midnight, though kitchens close an hour before the cafe. Check out UnCommon’s menu and hours on their webpage!

A group of Bi-Co staffers gathered to score the fryer snacks from UnCommon. The entirety of the UnCommon frier menu (sans chicken tenders) can be purchased for an affordable $25—though try not to order them all at once like we did, out of consideration for the staff (and your stomach!).The five-star grading system considers presentation, taste, creativity and bang for your buck (cost compared to quantity of food). 

The Bi-Co staff picks include the vegan nuggets and the spicy cauliflower, though editor-in-chief Anna swears by the curly fries. 

Tater Tots, Image by Helen Ehrlich

Tots – $2.85

These classic fried potato bites are packed into the container by the scoopful. If you’re really hungry, this is the order for you! They’re a reliable option flavor-wise, and they have a deliciously crumbly, fluffy interior. Mushy insides, begone!

Presentation: ★★★★☆

Taste: ★★★★☆

Creativity: ★★☆☆☆

Bang for your buck: ★★★★★

Curly Fries, Image by Helen Ehrlich

French Fries – $2.75

UnCommon offers a generous serving of seasoned potato curls fried to a golden brown. Fans of shoestring or steak cut fries, move aside for the true king of potato cuts! They’re good on their own or as a side option to accompany something heartier.

Presentation: ★★★★☆

Taste: ★★★★★

Creativity: ★★★☆☆

Bang for your buck: ★★★★★

A student stretches a mozzarella stick

Mozzarella Sticks : $3.25

These mozzarella sticks offer a crispy outside with a cheesy and stretchy center! Be warned, eat them quickly or the cheese will harden. (The staff also had to substitute ketchup for tomato sauce, which impacted our taste score.)

Presentation: ★★★☆☆

Taste: ★★★☆☆

Creativity: ★★☆☆☆

Bang for your buck: ★★☆☆☆

Onion rings, Image by Helen Ehrlich

Onion Rings: $3.25

A slightly uninspired item from the UnCommon menu, the onion rings are one of the blander options. Dipping them in ketchup only slightly improved their taste.

Presentation: ★★★☆☆

Taste: ★★☆☆☆

Creativity: ★★★☆☆

Bang for your buck: ★★☆☆☆

Waffle Fries, Image by Helen Ehrlich

Sweet Potato Waffle Fries: $2.85

A slightly healthier choice, these sweet potato fries have a crispy exterior and bright orange hue. They have a mild and distinct flavor, unlike regular french fries. The waffle texture provides an interesting crunchy experience!

Presentation: ★★★★★

Taste: ★★★★☆

Creativity: ★★★☆☆

Bang for your buck: ★★★★☆

Spicy cauliflower bites, Image by Helen Ehrlich

Spicy Cauliflower: $3.85

A student favorite, spicy cauliflower bites are unique to UnCommon and are sure to get you drooling. This top pick combines the unique texture of the crisp and spicy outer layer with a piping-hot and tender cauliflower inside. Be sure to enjoy these with chipotle mayo! This combination is an approved UnCommon staff pick.

Presentation: ★★★★★

Taste: ★★★★★

Creativity: ★★★★★

Bang for your buck: ★★★☆☆

Vegan nuggets and honey mustard dipping sauce, Image by Helen Ehrlich

Vegan Chicken Tenders: $6.75

The vegan chicken tenders will have you double – and triple- checking that you’re not eating real meat. This is indisputably one of the best vegetarian meat substitutes we’ve ever had. They have the same taste and consistency of real chicken nuggets, minus the grayish hue lots of vegan options have. There’s a reason these sell out most nights, so be sure to get to UnCommon early if you want to guarantee your order. The only downside is that they’re a bit pricey.

Presentation: ★★★★☆

Taste: ★★★★★

Creativity: ★★★★★

Bang for your buck: ★☆☆☆☆

Do you agree with our ratings? Drop by UnCommon and share your own rankings in the comments!