Kobe Bryant’s Passing

Kobe Bryant’s Passing

By Vanessa Shehu, Staff Writer, and Isabel Oalican, Staff Editor

It’s the early 2000s. You’re sitting in class when suddenly you hear a faint “Kobe!” from the kids behind you in class. They’re shooting paper balls into the nearest trash can, imitating the sound of the NBA announcer when Kobe Bryant makes a shot. Occasionally, someone scores a trash can shot and the entire class erupts.

Bryant’s legacy, however, is much greater than elementary school memories. Kobe Bryant defined the National Basketball League from the minute he entered—fresh at age 18—until his retirement in 2016. He would go onto be a five-time NBA Champion, a 17-time NBA All-Star, a two-time Olympic Gold medalist, among countless other achievements. Kobe Bryant will forever live alongside the biggest names in basketball history.

Before Bryant’s fame, however, he grew up not too far from the campuses of Bryn Mawr and Haverford, in Ardmore, PA. A member of the Lower Merion High School graduating class of 1996, Bryant was a state champion on the Aces Basketball team and trained under the mentorship of coach Gregg Downer. Bryant played for Lower Merion High School and was immediately drafted after graduation. Years later, he made a significant donation to Lower Merion High, which named its gymnasium after him. After high school, Bryant ignited a legendary twenty-year basketball career with the Los Angeles Lakers.

On Sunday, January 26, retired NBA champion Kobe Bryant passed away in a tragic helicopter crash alongside his daughter, Gianna, 13, in Calabasas, California. On a trip with close-knit friends, Bryant and his daughter boarded a helicopter to fly to a basketball tournament.

Gianna Bryant was an immensely talented basketball player herself, of which her father was incredibly proud. They were often spotted on social media at basketball games, smiling widely and embracing. Their relationship was an emblem of a truly touching father-daughter relationship. Despite his own legendary career, Bryant never allowed this to overshadow his daughters’ athletic endeavors. From basketball to volleyball, he supported his four children fervently, even nicknaming Gianna “Mambacita,” in honor of his self-given nickname “Mamba” which will infectiously rally fans for years to come.

The helicopter crash also claimed the lives of seven other passengers. On board was Ara Zobayan, Bryant long-time Pilot; college basketball coach John Altobelli and his wife Keri and their teenage daughter Alyssa; Sarah Chester and her daughter Payton; and Coach Christina Mauser, a basketball coach at Bryant’s Mamba Sports Academy.

All of the victims are survived by heartbroken children, spouses, parents, siblings, and community members. The Altobellis left behind a sixteen-year-old daughter. Mauser left behind a husband and young children.

In light of Bryant’s passing, the Aces released a statement that epitomized the deep impact Bryant’s kindness, passion, and love for life left on and off the court. The statement reads, “Perhaps Kobe’s greatest legacy is how he brought us all together. The skinny 14-year old kid who first took the Main Gym floor in 1991, then took us on an epic ride we will never forget did the same for millions more. We all felt like we were in it together. A common bond, an understanding—a Mamba mentality.” Coach Downer, Bryant’s former teammates, family members, and 1,600 community members gathered this past week in memory of Bryant.

For fans of Kobe both on and off the basketball court, the tragedy feels intensely personal. Once news hit of the helicopter crash, the international community intertwined by social media fell into disbelief. Thousands of social media posts from fans, strangers, and members of the NBA community flooded the internet. Although it was the night of the Grammy Awards, a somber lull befell. This tragedy was an all-too-abrupt reminder of the fleeting nature of life. Across social media, individuals called on one another to hug their loved ones, to treat one another with kindness, and to reach out to estranged family and friends.

On behalf of Bryn Mawr and Haverford, the Bi-College News wishes healing onto the loved ones and friends of the nine individuals whose lives were lost on this tragic day. May their memories, legacies, smiles, words, and actions remain steadfast in all of us and remind us of the fragility and beauty of life.

Image credit: Wikipedia